Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Doctor's In the Media House

It's strange really. A couple of weeks ago I wrote a short review of the Doctor Who The Movie and this weekend I visited one of my local 'dealers' of the Doctor Who DVD editions and noticed that whenever there's a stash missing...meaning the DVDs being sold out...the first one they order is the TV Movie. I don't know if that's a coincidence or if the retailers just thought that since the British viewers have seen the new Ninth Doctor it was in order to watch his predecessor the Eight Doctor and his only one but significant TV adventure. Like I said, I don’t know.

Ever since I rediscovered my fondness for the cult series, I've often wondered if I was the only one but the evidence...or the missing DVDs suggest that there are some people who actually pay good money to watch them. That's not to say that the DVD's are costly but I don't think they're that cheap for those of my compatriots without bigger pockets.

Though I could be wrong. A little over three months ago there were several good editions featuring the Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor and some of my favourite Fifth Doctor's eps like The Visitation and I remember a while ago there was even The Caves of Androzani which I regret not buying at the time, since they didn't order more after that.

While I was browsing the bestsellers’ book section, I also found several editions featuring the Christopher Eccleston’s Ninth Doctor and his companions Rose Tyler and Jack Harkness. Of course I couldn’t leave without buying at least one of them so I decided on Justin Richards’ The Clockwise Man. It has an interesting premise and as I’m familiar with Richards’ previous work, I have no doubt that it’s going to be a good novelisation of the Ninth Doctor’s adventures. Will probably do a separate review on it later.

Anyway it’s a promising market for the sale of Doctor Who merchandise in my country.
Hopefully in the future there’ll be more editions to choose from and more of them being sold.

It’s the new era for Doctor Who and it really deserves more attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home